Tuesday, December 02, 2003

So I went over to my aunt's house for Thanksgiving where we had a big family gathering. As expected, kimchee was served along with turkey and cranberry sauce and yams. *disgusted shudder* After eating dinner, my aunt turned on her karaoke machine, and grabbed my hand and forced me to sing. I looked through the book of songs and commented on the inclusion of "Ma Vie en Rose," that song made famous by Edith Piaf, and my aunt immediately programmed for that song to play and shoved a microphone in front of my face. I started singing and apparently impressed the hell out of the rest of my family members, although the key was way too high for me. My mother told me afterward, "I didn't know you could sing like that! You should take voice lessons. You could be the next Britney Spears!" I was a bit flabbergasted. Yes, Korean mothers are always consumed by tantalizing fantasies of their children's glory, but this was a bit much.