Monday, December 08, 2003

Inertia is so frustrating. Sometimes I feel like I'm one of those dogs who perpetually chase their tails, not realizing that what seems so delicious and just out of reach is actually attached to its own ass. Well, I'm not sure that analogy is so apt...I wanted to convey a sense of aimlessly running in a circle and not getting anywhere. Which is not technically inertia. *sigh* OK, I'm fucking up my metaphors tonight.

I go through periods where I'm cruising along in myopic fashion, taking care of all the little things of immediate concern, but intermittently am jolted out of my routine by something--a traumatic experience, travel to a new place, etc. Something which leads to resensitization to my environment, something which forces me to think critically about my life and what I'm doing. And I have all sorts of epiphanies about what I'm doing wrong, what I need to do in order to make my life better, to take charge of things for once instead of passively letting my life float by...and end up doing little or nothing in the end, and return to my routine, as if nothing had happened. So, so frustrating. Aaaaaaaaargh.