Wednesday, November 26, 2003

So, yeah. I'm Liz. These are thoughts of mine. I'll try to keep the pretension to a minimum. But just to warn you, I have spent so much of my life completely in my head that my writing style can be a tad self-conscious and self-absorbed. Okay, maybe more than "a tad."

The title of this blog refers to recurring images in Neutral Milk Hotel's "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea," one of the most intense and gorgeous and life-changing albums ever made. If you haven't heard it yet, procure it immediately and prepare yourself for the turbulent emotional journey which will inevitably follow. Usually I can convince myself that I'm doing just fine without love, until I hear any part of this album or read John Donne's love poems. And then there's that ache that eats me up from the inside. Dammit. Out, out, damn thought, damn dream. Come back to me, numbness and denial and distraction by intellectual playthings. Ahhhh. Thank you, old friends.

And...sleep.