Thursday, November 27, 2003

Since I'm in the mood to talk about movies, I also caught The Opposite of Sex recently on television, and eagerly waited for the scene with one of the worst movie lines ever written, uttered by Lyle Lovett as Carl the police officer who woos Lisa Kudrow's Lucia: "Say the point of sex isn't recreation or procreation or any of that stuff. Say it's concentration. Say it's supposed to focus your attention on the person you're sleeping with, like a biological highlighter. Otherwise there's just too many people in the world." I remember watching this movie when it was first released in a tiny artsy movie theater in New Haven, and groaning painfully after that simile. I'm sorry, but sex as biological highlighter is just about the most laughably dopey image I've ever encountered. I do give props to whoever wrote it for taking the risk to write something like that. As a writer of occasional cheezy over-the-top similes and metaphors myself, I'm the last one who should be casting stones. But still...biological highlighter? Gah.