Sunday, February 08, 2004

Well, I just saw Capturing the Friedmans (with all the DVD special features...I'm beginning to fall in love with the whole DVD thing, which is new to technologically retarded me). It blew my mind. The best movie I've seen in ages. The director Jarecki did an amazing job with this debut film of his (although I'm sure the shitload of money gained from being the founder and CEO of Moviefone helped him out quite a bit, as well as his luck to discover such a rich and complex and tragic story). The DVD included an interview with Jarecki and Charlie Rose, and Jarecki made the comment that these days in the media (spurred by our current President and his cronies) there seems to be such an emphasis on the sharp delineation between "good guys" and "bad guys," but this movie reveals that this is a fantasy, that there is a gray area between black and white, that people can do really horrible things while also being good in other ways. If nothing else, this film reveals the endless complexity of human nature. I've found myself drawn more to documentaries lately. This film, as well as the grand prize winner of the Full Frame Festival in 2002, The Last Just Man, packed such a wallop, I don't know if I'll ever recover. Damn.